Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Home, Sweet, Home

Baby, I forgot to mention that we did give you a cool name, but for privacy purposes, you'll continue to be referred to as Baby.

It's been nearly 30ish hours since mamma and I brought you home. I'll have to say waiting for the pediatrician to give you the final look over physical and critique mamma on correct alignment of teet to your mouth was excruciatingly long. Probably more than the previous 4 days with you, I was overcome with dread and fear the day we left the hospital. Not that the we left you in the care of nurses the whole time, or you slept in the nursery every night. Mamma and I hae been in action, playing the role of caretakers to ya, but something about leaving the safe confines of the fancy hospital made it oh so real, and scary.

Mamma had some good insights, it's going to be tough not having a new nurse every 8-12 hours who comes and tells us how you cute you are, and how superficially we feel proud of you, but really those surface level parental ego boosters only solidify, yes how cute you are, but also how could we not be good parents to you.

So while it's been quiet here at home, mamma and I have been busy, getting the cloth diaper system working, as well as just getting all the last minute things ready for mamma and your need. Most importantly I worry that mamma is eating enough and eating healthy foods. As well as resting enough to recuperate from her surgery.

I dread going back to work, realizing that, yes each day is a new day, and each day for you is a milestone that we will not be able to re-visit. So the thought of going into work even for a couple of hours seems like I may be missing so much, just imagine in a couple of months when there's walking and talking involved. Even since you've come home, you've been adjusting well to just mamma and I, and our condo.

You appear to be sleeping more that mamma's milk is freely flowing, and we hope that you get back to your birth weight. You also seem to need less soothing- I haven't had to sing you a song, nor use the pacifier. In the end you really are growing up each day, and you're doing it all by yourself. That alone seems so amazing and bring tears to my eyes, knowing that this is only the beginning of many sentimental moments in our lifetime together.

Going back to you Baby, you seem to like your makeshift bassinet in the pack and play, you also seem to like the lighting in our house, and generally the ceiling is of particular interest to you. You also like it when mamma reads you books, and you don't even seem to mind diaper changes anymore. Like I said, you're growing up so nicely, and it's almost happening too fast for this dad.


IMG_1617


2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! This will be awesome to have some day when "baby" is old enough to read herself... about herself. I love reading your thoughts about the whole process, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I''m not the only one w/ tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete