Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Say What?

Things that Babygirl has learned at school and mentioned off the cuff:

  • "crybaby" as in her baby bro is a "crybaby"
  • the act of choking- she put both hands around her neck and showed me that's how you choke i can only guess someone in her class is guilty of choking a sibling and not preparing for a suicide club
  • various old school church songs that I grew up singing, guess she's now learning them at school
  • the complete story of creation, the beginnings of Cain and Abel, and the tower of Babel
  • "girls don't play pirates" as in this is what only the boys play at recess
  • "this is boring" used in context, but not convinced she knows what it really means, same for "deal"
  •  knows the middle names for most of her class, and learns Spanish songs, but refuses to say any Korean words
  • awkwardly shy and silent, or totally and open book and singing songs for strangers
The whole instilling independence form the Montessori program is great, but hearing "leave me alone, I'm going to do it myself" sucks. Hearing, "I'm going to go outside, ok?" but its not really a question cuz she's already out the door swinging on her swings.

Since babygirl's teacher is totally on a pedestal, I hear myself saying "what would Ms. S say if you did this at school?" How many more months/years do I have before I lose all influence over my child?

1 comment: