Sunday, March 16, 2008

Can't Stop Til You Get Enough!

Caffeine, ". . .is arguably the most robust form of drug self-administration known to man." It is this widely available drug that is keeping me from falling over sideways while riding my bike, or falling asleep on my clients.

After 4 weeks of sleeping for approx 100-120 minutes and then waking up for 5-40 mins, and then sleeping for 100-120 minutes, and repeating this 4 times a night, my body is spent.

Babymamma is not not snoring anymore and waking me up every night, nor do I have sleep apnea. The sleep deprivation that I've gone through the last month has been hitting me hard.

I've always been a 1 cup (ok it's a large 16oz mug) of green tea kind of guy during the work days. I wouldn't say I was addicted to caffeine, but I just enjoyed the slow release of caffeine that was laced into my day. On mornings of emergency, I'll admit I would drink that awful black sludge at work with a packet of hot chocolate to make it tolerable (poor man's cafe mocha).

These past 2-3 weeks have been 160z green tea in the morning, and another "cup" in the afternoon around 2pm. On my early morning meetings day which only happen once a month, I treat myself to 160z Peet's Coffee, splash of milk, and 1 sweet and low. On really tired days when I'm dragging and not feeling the tea, I'll get a sugar free Red Bull and call it a day, I'm good til the evening. Typically when I've drank Red Bull, I would be wired and get the caffeine shakes, and pee every 15mins. These days the afternoon Red Bull is nothing but a smooth delivery of caffeine with no real ill effects like the shakes, caffeine headaches, nor does "it give me wings," I guess this only affirms how tired I am on any given afternoon.

While Red Bull is not something I like to indulge in daily, nor does baby want me to spend all her college money on a $2 can of Caffeine, frugal daddy decided to try(or plan to try) some other caffeinated beverages. Mountain Dew is so something I OD'ed on in high school, so I don't wish to regress to liquid yellow. So it's on to fancy new products like:

1. Propel Invigorating Water: Good flavor, 2omg of the big C, and it's a non-carbonated beverage. While I found the caffeine delivery to be fast and sudden, it did give me a quick jolt, and got the shakes. Als,o since I was drinking water+diuretic (caffeine) I was heavily hydrated and thought I was going to wet my pants today like my baby.

2. Owater infused w/caffeine: Another non carbonated water drink with flavor and caffeine. This is probably the next product I'll sample in the next month.

3. Pimp Juice: I hope in the near future I'll get my hands on "the #1 hip hop energy drink." As they say, "its hard out here for pimp," and if it works for Nellly, it can work for this daddy.

The moral of this story is that this dad is tired, and despite catching z's when he can, regardless of how many hours of sleep I actually get, I can't seem to catch up on the sleep that I've lost. Sometimes I think this is really just the beginning of a lifetime of just being tired and having stank coffee breadth for the rest of my baby's 18 years of life.

Save a dad and pick up some caffeine for him in any form that's necessary.

1 comment: