Friday, July 10, 2009

Me, Grup, U?

An astute friend of mine passed along this article from the NYMag, about Grups, or Grown Ups, or basically hipster dads. Interestingly the article was published in 2006, since I wasn't a dad back then, nor have I ever read the NYMag, I guess I never came across the article.

I guess Babydaddy here wants to know, how many dads outside of NYC, identify with the dudes in this article? By no means am I hipster, dress down techie who has a flexible schedule and buy Ramones onesies for Babygirl. I do live in the city, I do commute by bike, not a fixed gear bike, I do have a collection of retro shoes, I also do like to go through the sales rack of Urban Outfitters, but I certainly don't have time to be chasing indie bands, wear retro t-shirts from the 80's, or quit jobs frequently to fit my lifestyle.

I do feel as a dad and adult, I long to hold on to Passion. I long for more passionate parenting experiences with Babygirl, I do hope that I can foster her own passions, rather than conform to molds of what's socially acceptable or a passing fad at the moment. I also hope that my jobs do not stifle my passions for my own pursuits. I guess like many hipster dads, I don't want to just live to work, so that I can work to live. I know I won't be carrying a briefcase anytime soon, and I'm happy going sock-less most days of the years, but is that going to be enough to keep the Passion alive? Isn't the chase for staying young and being youthful and passionate a losing battle in the end?

Everyone is looking for something to bring meaning to their lives, sometimes it's family, sometimes it's who we associate with, sometimes it's a revolutionary movement, or political affiliation, at the end of the day my Christian identity makes the most sense to me and helps me to stay grounded and not get caught up in emotionally charged/uplifting groupings.

What drives your ideas of adulthood, parenthood, or being Grup?

No comments:

Post a Comment